How to keep them happy: 10 tips for more smiles
Helping young people develop a healthy and vibrant mental health can be challenging in a society that places a high value on performance. Research suggests that it can help your child become happier by following the following ten steps:
1) Get Happy Yourself – research is conclusive that parental depression can cause diminished self-esteem for their children, and more often contributes to behavioral issues.
2) Teach Your Child How to Build Healthy Relationships - It’s hard to argue the importance of learning how to build relationships, but few of us spend time teaching our children how to build relationships. Teaching our children the importance of kindness and empathy can help set the stage for better relationship building as the child progresses through adolescence.
3) Praise Effort – Research concludes that a young persons’ mindset growth can be augmented or diminished based on how their effort is recognized instead of their success or failure.
4) Teach Optimism – Optimistic people are more successful than people that have a pessimistic focus. Children that can demonstrate self-compassion are more successful at overcoming stressful situations that can harm their self-esteem.
5) Teach Emotional Intelligence – Understanding one's emotions and how to respond to them is an essential relationship building skill. Adults can help children gain a better understanding of their emotional triggers by openly talking about what emotions are and how they impact our mindset.
6) Happiness Habits – Like all things, happiness also has to become a habit. Helping children develop happiness habits is an essential skill that contributes to healthy self-esteem.
7) Teach Self-Discipline – A child’s self-discipline is a better predictor of future success than almost any other personal aspect, including intelligence. Remind your youngster of the old saying: Don’t trade what you want most for what you want at that moment.
8) Fun time – children need to have time to be young and play. Playtime allows children to learn how to self-regulate without the influence of adults and promotes a healthy social and emotional well-being.
9) Frame Their Happiness Environment – Adults can help their child be more happy by creating situations that are deliberately designed to stimulate happiness.
10) Family Time – Spending family time together is an essential component of building happy and healthy children that are eager to allow adults into their lives.
#tips #happy kids #self esteem #mental health #children #trauma #trust #parents #depression #bullying #happiness habits #mindfulness #playtime #Self-Discipline #Happiness Environment